Q&A with Varsity Volleyball Coach Tim Hatok
1. How many years have you been the Varsity Volleyball coach?
This is my first year as head coach for the varsity team. It is my 6th with the program.
2. Who are some key players that are returning this year?
Brittany Saetre will be relied upon for consistency in passing and her hitting. We have two very good middle hitters. Both Maggie McDevitt and Kathleen McGonigle have the experience and potential to rack up large kill totals. Helen Costulis is going to be a setter for the first time in 2 years but she is warming to the position quickly. I expect her to progress all season so we can run a fast offense by the end of the season.
3. What do you like most about coaching volleyball?
I enjoy the fact that it really takes all 6 players on the court to win a match. Even if you have one player that is hitting the ball well your team really needs passers to get the ball to the setter. Then the setter must make the set to the proper hitter. Only then can the hitter have a ball to swing at. It truly is a team game.
4. What teams in the district will give you your toughest competition this year?
Year in and year out it is Jamestown and Grafton.
5. How do you think the volleyball team will fare this season?
I hope to be playing for the district title. We’re going to have to feel our way as a group in the first half of the season. We should be able to make a push into playoffs and then it will be any teams title to win.