As with your accessories, apply the same Basic Knowledge when arranging your Art.
- Over the fireplace, hang one work of art or a group of multiple pieces of art work
- Strive for a loose circular or oval outline when grouping. Avoid stair stepped arrangements. They draw your eye sharply up or down, rather than around.
- Leave one to two inches between multiple works.
- Position Art at eye level
- Arrange multiple artwork on the floor first
- A single painting hung above a sofa should extend approximately two-thirds the sofa’s width and be placed 8 to 10 inches above the sofa. If print is narrower, add smaller pieces to make a larger unit.
- Easier to hang odd number pieces, such as three or five, but even numbers can be successful too.
- These are blueprints for simple displays:
- Horizontal Axis- works best for three pieces of art. Hang center first, then flank.
- Vertical Axis- ideal for four pieces. Hang two pieces on one side of vertical axis and two on the other. Offset horizontal spacing to avoid creating a cross of negative space.
- Perimeter- Establish imaginary perimeter for the space and hang pieces so their outer edges touch that perimeter. Avoid creating a cross of negative space in the center.